Three things I love about Super Bowl parties: (1) hanging out with good friends over football Americano and watching them scream at the TV over blotched plays or successful touchdowns – sometimes both at the same time; (2) discussing the sh*ttiness of the halftime show and/or the brilliance of certain Super Bowl ads; and my favorite reason is (3) THE FOOD!
Super Bowl food is like one big appetizer party – chicken wings (my all-time favorite app), crab dips, artichoke dips, Mexican dip, guacamole, chilli – I love them all!
It’s been years since I’ve seen a Super Bowl game on live TV since that would mean waking up at 4am Dubai time to catch the show. Never gonna happen.
By the time Scotch and I are out of bed the next morning, the champions have already been determined and I inevitably find out who the winner is when I go through my morning Facebook and Twitter streams – complete with play-by-plays via my friends’ status updates. There really is no need for me to watch the actual game on a 12-hour delay when I already know the winner (boring) – friend updates are so much more fun to read so keep them up Friends if you are reading this (you know who you are!).
If I were hosting or attending a Super Bowl party this year, this Spinach and Cheese dip would be my contribution. I’ve made this dip 3 times in the last two months – for a friend’s housewarming, for Wee Scotch’s birthday picnic, and for a Murder Mystery party – and people seem to like it as much as I do.
The depth of flavors in this dip comes from the addition of French onion soup mix and allowing the ingredients to meld and mellow with the cheese, sour cream and mayo. This dip has evolved over the years from college days when my roommates Nic and Coors made it from just spinach and sour cream – I now include lots of cheese and a bit of mayo because I love the creamy combination.
Stick a spoon in the dip and spread it on sliced French bread or Saltines – Enjoy!
What are you making for Super Bowl Sunday this year (February 3rd) and who are you rooting for – Ravens or 49ers?
* * * * *
Spinach and Cheese Dip
- 1 package (10 oz / 280 g) frozen spinach, thawed
- 1 cup (4 oz or 100 g) shredded Swiss or Sharp White Cheddar cheese
- 1 cup sour cream - I use full fat as reduced fat is too liquidy
- ½ cup mayonnaise - full fat
- 3 green onions , diced
- ½ package Knorr French onion soup mix (or Lipton brand)
- 1 loaf French bread (sliced) or crackers or crudités
- Squeeze excess water out of the spinach leaves with a few sheets of kitchen roll or clean kitchen towel. If spinach is still frozen, defrost until running cold water and then squeeze out excess water.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the spinach, sour cream, mayonnaise, soup mix, and green onions until well mixed.
- Cover and refrigerate 2 hours (better overnight) to blend flavors. Stir well. Garnish with grated cheese and a sprinkle of green onions.
- Serve with sliced French bread, crackers or crudités.
Subscribe to my monthly newsletter and receive a FREE noodle guide PDF:
*We respect your privacy and will not send you spam. You may unsubscribe at any time.