Previous post:

Next post:

Scotch Eats Live Octopus!

Fri, Jul 6, 2012

Posted in:  restaurant reviews,travels    |    Tagged as:  ,,

Live Octopus - Sik Gaek Restaurant

Live Octopus – Sik Gaek Restaurant

What was Scotch doing the whole time Wee Scotch and I were in Vietnam?

He was working :(.

He was supposed to join us but last minute work demands meant that we had to cancel his plane ticket for Vietnam as he had to fly out of Dubai for an extended business trip.

But at least he was working in THE greatest city in the world – New York :).

And lucky him, his NYC work colleagues took him to this Korean restaurant in Woodside, Queens for a taste of live octopus.

Lucky him!

Seriously, I would love to try live octopus, not just raw sashimi style, but LIVE!

Where can I get that in Dubai?

Here is proof of his Live Octopus Eating Adventure – the video is a bit dark but I think you’ll get the idea (click here if the video screen below does not appear):

And some sound bites from the video:

“Did you see?!  [Tthe octopus] picked up the garlic! Did you see?”

“It’s wrong in so many ways.”  … “Yet quite tasty.”

“Chew!”

Scotch’s expression at the end of video is just priceless as he shudders while the octopus literally fights being swallowed into the abyss by suckering onto his teeth and cheeks…

He also braved the BBQ intestines:

Scotch: “The intestine looks harmless right? Well it still had “undigested grass” in it, which translates into something completely different once you consider this is the last stage in the digestive system…”

Korean BBQ intestines

Korean BBQ intestines

And a “normal” dish of stir-fried beef:

Korean stir-fried beef with veg

Korean stir-fried beef with veg

*   *   *   *   *

Sik Gaek Korean Restaurant: 49-11 Roosevelt Ave, Woodside, NY 11377. Phone: +1 (718) 205-4555.

If you enjoyed this post, please leave a comment and subscribe to future posts via RSS feed reader or have them delivered directly to your email.

{ 7 comments… read them below or add one }

nadia July 16, 2012 at 4:36 pm

Scotch is a very brave man!
nadia recently posted..BarB.Q. Tonight, Jumeirah RoadMy Profile

paika July 16, 2012 at 5:35 pm

i’ve been there but totally wuss-ed out on trying the live octo. :P but i do absolutely recommend the restaurant. oh how i miss nyc and its wonderful food and restaurants. :P

Devina Divecha (FooDee) July 16, 2012 at 9:16 pm

OMG he’s so brave! I’d feel so weird about eating something that’s still alive.
I am so amused by how he said the video is for your blog haha.
Devina Divecha (FooDee) recently posted..An epic three-hour lunch at Sino Chai, DubaiMy Profile

The UDG July 16, 2012 at 10:45 pm

Agreed! That’s true love.
The UDG recently posted..**Food Friday!!** Happy Gotcha Day!My Profile

Scotch July 16, 2012 at 10:16 pm

You guys have no idea!

Octopus was actually really tasty, but difficult to get past the suckering onto your chopstick and cheek and tongue. You had to bite really hard to make sure it was dead before swallowing so that it didn’t grab your throat. Not sure I would have it again. Highly recommend the restaurant and experience though.

sparklydatepalm July 17, 2012 at 4:17 pm

Fair play Scotch! I waited to read this post until I knew I had well digested my breakfast today!
sparklydatepalm recently posted..More tea – worth the waitMy Profile

Tet July 18, 2012 at 4:07 pm

Impressive! :)

We have this street food in the Philippines called “isaw”. It’s chicken intestines on a stick cooked like barbecue. It’s pretty good btw :)