Previous post:

Next post:

21 driving rules in Dubai

Mon, Mar 17, 2008

Posted in:  dubai life    |    Tagged as:

AME Info recently posted the following:

The Dubai government, mindful of the emirate’s terrible road record, recently pushed through harsher rules to try and improve people’s driving habits. After they came into force, Dubai police said it issued 2,300 fines on the first day. So here are the AME Info unofficial rules of the road for drivers….

AME Info top 21 driving rules in Dubai

1. There are only two speeds on Dubai roads – too fast and stationary.

2. When driving at 120km/hour ensure you are 30cm from the car in front and then furiously flash your lights at them, even though it is three solid lanes of traffic and they can’t move anywhere.

3. Roundabouts are for parking/picking up/dropping off mates. Everyone knows that, stupid!

4. Never indicate at roundabouts, especially when turning left or doing a u-turn – that would just give other drivers a clue of your intentions.

5. Never choose the correct lane for your exit when going round a roundabout – drivers love it when you suddenly cut across them – it tests their brakes.

6. Never indicate when changing lanes. This also gives people a clue of your intentions.

7. If someone is courteous and lets you in, never thank them – that just shows weakness so more fool them for being nice.

8. Never let in drivers who are indicating that they need to move into your lane so they can turn right. It’s fun watching them miss their turning or pull a dangerous manoeuvre.

9. If you do miss your turning, just reverse, no matter how fast the on-coming traffic – it’s their duty to avoid you.

10. Always brake at the last possible moment – then you can see the whites of the other driver’s eyes in their rear-view mirror as they widen.

11. When speeding in the slow lane, flash the car in front who is actually going slow. Everyone knows slow cars should be in the middle lane.

12. Slow cars – always drive in the middle lane, forcing other cars to overtake on either side of you.

13. Hard shoulders are designed to help you get past that traffic jam quickly, not for broken down cars/lorries or actual emergencies.

14. When in heavy traffic, a gap of half a car is an invitation.

15. Equally, a red light is more of a request than an order.

16. Your horn is like beautiful music to other drivers, so keep hitting it.

17. Never strap your child in – that wastes valuable seconds in getting to your destination.

18. Speeding through a petrol station as a short cut when trying to get past a traffic jam is legitimate.

19. Never fully concentrate on the road; instead use your journey wisely, eg for texting, chatting on the phone, eating, drinking or reading. In extreme cases, your drive is also a good opportunity for a quick nap.

20. Always open your door and spit when in traffic jams – it is big and it is clever.

21. Finally, one for the pedestrians – always cross the motorway/freeway at its busiest point, when cars are at their fastest. Drivers love the adrenaline rush as you run in front of them and they get to test their driving skills as they try to control that skid.

If you enjoyed this post, please leave a comment and subscribe to future posts via RSS feed reader or have them delivered directly to your email.

{ 10 comments… read them below or add one }

grace March 18, 2008 at 12:38 am

Sadly, all these are true!

Tauqeer March 19, 2008 at 10:44 am

so true, just SOO true…they need a HUGE turnover in driving habits, dont know if these new fines would do anything good, as i know 80% of the drivers never went to driving schools and the ppl who actually went, believe me the instructors over there just assume that you know how to drive and they are there just to help you get your required hours … *sigh

LOL May 26, 2008 at 12:26 am

I follow em all ;)

imran August 22, 2008 at 7:56 am

i agree with all these but do u knw first of all to get a driving license is a nig pain here in dubai peoplw who cant drive r with license and people who can acctually drive r failing de test every now and then its so sad and i knw this will never change

Steve September 12, 2008 at 8:12 pm

I was fined for taking the correct lane. I was coming from Shj and at the DNATA signal, I turned right and was in the lane going to Al Mahktoum Bridge. A sign board also mentioned that vehicles going to Bur Dubai/Al Makhtoum Bridge/Salik to keep on the 1st lane. At the Clock Tower Signal, I turned left to enter the Al Makhtoum Bridge road and a police officer fined me for Lane Discipline. It seems the police does not know the rules and regulations on the road. Correct me if I am wrong.

Mike October 21, 2008 at 3:59 pm

I've been here for 3 months and it is the scariest freeways/roads I've ever driven and that's coming from someone that drove "The 5" in California, which is considered one of the deadliest highways in the world.

I consider myself a very safe driver and don't understand why people don't use signals and take up 2 lanes for the fun of it. I pray every time I get in my car.

SAM May 17, 2009 at 8:38 pm

I have license no:4 (heavytruck).when i was driving a car the police man stopped me and picked my license and send to the court .

Amira May 19, 2009 at 12:15 pm

I flow them all too ;)

Reeta Luthra June 21, 2012 at 6:53 pm

Thanks for this, I knew something fell out of my Immigration pack! :-)

There’s one missing though: Always triple-park when honking your horn outside Subway or the corner grocery store for the guy to come out and take your order. Sharp sudden stops are particularly recommended.
Reeta Luthra recently posted..Why You Should Care About the Ziegarnik EffectMy Profile

babar August 28, 2012 at 12:05 pm

dnt you ever forget your seat belt :) you will get another fine………..